Transfer by an Altezza Travel vehicle from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your chosen hotel. All of the hotels we use offer comfort with rooms with hot showers, swimming pools, pleasant staff and Wi-Fi access. Your tour Manager will brief you on your forthcoming climb in the evening, answer your questions and make sure you are properly equipped for the climb, providing rental gear when necessary.
Note: start of check-in is usually at 14:00hrs.
A morning pre-climb briefing and introductions with our team precede the drive to Kilimanjaro Park's Eastern Gate: Marangu, which lies at 1,860 m. Here, your head guide arranges all necessary permits and registration for rescue and search services before you start the walk to Mandara Hut’s 2,700 m. The trail takes you through rain forest with its high probability of rain showers, so bring a raincoat.
This being your first day at high altitude we strongly recommend the following:
- Do not consume any caffeine or alcohol
- Drink often, a little at a time for a total daily intake of 4 litres minimum.
- Take Diamox for relief from altitude sickness symptoms. It is usually taken in the morning before the day's climbing. Consult your physician before undertaking the trip to check for possible contraindications.
- Heed your body's warnings and promptly inform your guide of any adverse symptoms.
Acclimatisation-associated discomfort is common at night, when your body gets less oxygen than during the day. This is normally expressed in the form of nausea and headaches.
Early in the morning after breakfast, the group will depart Mandara Hut to start a moderate trek towards the second high altitude camp: Horombo Hut (3,720 m). When you reach the camp on this day, you will be treated to views of two volcanos at once: Kibo and Mawenzi.
Several hours after lunch you will have to complete an acclimatization hike in the direction of Kibo Hut with a 200-meter gain in altitude, and then hike back down to Horombo Hut where dinner will be prepared for you.
Note: The acclimatization hike is an easy trek with a slight gain in altitude done in order to speed up the acclimatization process. You should take the acclimatization hikes very seriously. They help increase your chances of successfully summiting Kilimanjaro and save you from the consequences of altitude sickness.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (3,920 m)
Hiking distance: 2.5 km
Hiking time: 1–2 hours
After breakfast you will go on an acclimatization hike towards Kibo Hut and back. After lunch you have the opportunity to walk around the surrounding area, take pictures of Mawenzi Volcano or just sleep before the upcoming trekking to Kibo Hut.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (4,500 m)
Hiking distance: 5–8 km
Hiking time: 3–4 hours
On this day, right after breakfast the group will be trekking to the Kibo Hut (4,700 m). The actual trekking is not very difficult, just remember to stick with an appropriate pace to keep up your strength for the climbing to Kilimanjaro's summit. When you reach the camp you will be served lunch, after which we recommend you sleep as much as you can, avoid any strenuous activity, and drink lots of water.
Night departure from Kibo Hut (4,700 m) and the start of your trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit: Uhuru peak (5,895 m). This stretch of Marangu Route is of a moderate physical difficulty, but high altitude puts any climbers body to the test. For the entire length of the trekking each pair of climbers will be accompanied by their own guide, who will be monitoring your stamina and mental resolve. After your successful ascent to Uhuru Peak, you can descend to the nearest glacier if desired. Then you will return to Kibo Camp and after a two-hour rest continue your descent to Horombo Hut (3,720 m).
Please note: 90% of mountain accidents - including broken limbs - happen on the way down. However, they are easily avoided by taking care of how and where you step.
5,895 m to 3,720 m
You will be offered a warm breakfast in the morning, after which we will head for the Kilimanjaro National Park's exit: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After your descent the whole group will gather to congratulate you, and then you will have the chance to share your opinions on the trip in the guestbook. Lastly, we will present you with your commemorative certificates (in our office) and provide you a transfer back to the hotel.
Enjoy the tranquility of your hotel before the airport transfer.
Note: while most hotels have an 11:00 AM check-out policy, they also offer late check-out for those with evening or night flights. The fees are moderate.
- Pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro International Airport;
- Transfer to the trailhead - entry gate to Kilimanjaro National Park;
- Pick-up at the exit from Kilimanjaro National Park and transfer to the hotel;
- All park fees collected by the Kilimanjaro National Park ( conservation fees, camping fees, crew fees, vehicle fee, rescue fee and all other fees collected by the Tanzania National Parks Authority).
- One night at 3* hotel (Aishi Machame Hotel or Altezza Lodge) before the expedition and one night after; The hotels have everything for your comfortable stay - caring staff, nice rooms, reliable Wi-Fi, restaurant and swimming pool);
- Tented accommodation on Mount Kilimanjaro (modern, comfortable 4-Season tents North Face VE-25 or Altezza Kilimanjaro Tents).
All accommodation is on sharing basis (i.e. you will be sharing with your travel companion a twin/double room in the hotel and a tent during the hike. If you travel alone, we will match you with a same-sex adventurer). Single occupancy is available upon request and extra chargers apply. It is not available on Marangu route, though. Contact us for more information.
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike;
- All meals on the hike. Our Kilimanjaro diet includes energy-rich and highly nutritious meals prepared by our professional high-altitude cooks.A typical diet on Kilimanjaro includes different soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables; vegetarian/gluten-free/halal options are available at no extra cost;
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water).
Hiking and safety equipment
- 4-inch (10-cm) thick and comfortable sleeping mats;
- All group equipment (spacious and comfortable dining tent, camping table and chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Oxygen cylinders and oximeters;
- GPS-tracking service;
- Complete medical kits.
- Professional guides, licensed by Kilimanjaro National Park. All our guides are the holder of Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. All our guides have 7+years of successful mountaineering experience;
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guides, camp master, porters, cooks, etc.).
- Airline tickets;
- Visa fee;
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the ascent);
- Personal gear rentals;
- Tips for the mountain crew (200–250 USD per person);
- Mountaineering insurance.
Other Group Departures to Join
25OctoberClimbing: Rongai route (7 days)
$2 162Discount 7%
- October 25 - November 02, 2020
31OctoberClimbing: Machame route (7 days)
$2 095Discount 7%
- October 31 - November 08, 2020
08NovemberClimbing: Marangu route (6 days)
$1 868Discount 7%
- November 08 - November 15, 2020
- Overnights in Huts
22NovemberClimbing: Machame route (7 days)
$2 095Discount 7%
- November 22 - November 30, 2020