- Climbing: Marangu route 5-day climb
Arrival date: 19.02.2017
Departure date: 25.02.2017
Climbing start: 20.02.2017
Climbing finish: 24.02.2017
Marangu – or “Coca-Cola” – route is rightfully popular amongst Kilimanjaro climbers. It is unique in that it provides extra comfort with its permanent huts. Fabulous vistas of Kilimanjaro’s Mawenzi and Kibo peaks are an added advantage of Coca-Cola Route! Marangu Route offers 6 and 5-day itineraries, the latter being the way to go for experienced trekkers. The 6 days Marangu Route itinerary with its longer acclimatization is preferable if this is to be your first climb. Those who climb Kilimanjaro on Marangu can look forward to a trek that covers the distance of 64 km (40 miles) with comfortable conditions resulting in a 92% success rate for the longer programme.
Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), where you will meet an Altezza Travel representative, and transfer to the hotel under the rate. The hotel will provide all the essentials for a comfortable stay: cozy rooms, hot water, polite staff, a swimming pool, and Internet access. In the evening there will be a briefing with our managers, who will also make sure you are ready to begin the climb.
Note: Check-in starts at 2:00 PM.
A guide and a mountain support crew will arrive at the hotel in the morning in order to meet you and hold a quick briefing, after which you will travel by vehicle to Kilimanjaro National Park's eastern entrance: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After the quick formality of acquiring climbing permits and registering with the search and rescue service, the group will start trekking up to Mandara Hut (2,700 m). The trekking route includes passage through the rainforest (where tropical showers are highly probable), so we recommend you take not only spare clothes, but also your raincoats. When you reach the camp, our mountain support crew will take care of the necessities, pitch the tents, and prepare lunch.
Throughout the entire Marangu route, you will be spending your nights in special huts. They offer a great alternative to those who do not want to sleep in tents.
This will be your first day at this altitude, so it is strongly recommended you heed the following instructions from this point on:
- Abstain from consuming alcohol and caffeine
- Drink over 4 liters of bottled water daily (little by little, frequently)
- Take a Diamox pill to help alleviate symptoms of altitude sickness. Most mountain climbers take Diamox in the morning, before they start their ascent, in order to reduce discomfort associated with altitude sickness. We recommend you consult your doctor prior to the trip in case of potential allergies.
At night you may experience discomfort associated with acclimatization to the high altitude: because of a reduction in your waking breathing pattern, your body gets less oxygen than during the day. Taking altitude into account, you may therefore start feeling sick and have a headache. Pay attention to your own body and tell your guide if you start feeling any symptoms of altitude sickness.
Change in Elevation: Marangu Gate (1,860 m) — Mandara Hut (2,700 m)
Hiking distance: 11 km
Hiking time: 5–7 hours
Early in the morning after breakfast, the group will depart Mandara Hut to start a moderate trek towards the second high altitude camp: Horombo Hut (3,720 m). When you reach the camp on this day, you will be treated to views of two volcanos at once: Kibo and Mawenzi.
Several hours after lunch you will have to complete an acclimatization hike in the direction of Kibo Hut with a 200-meter gain in altitude, and then hike back down to Horombo Hut where dinner will be prepared for you.
Note: The acclimatization hike is an easy trek with a slight gain in altitude done in order to speed up the acclimatization process. You should take the acclimatization hikes very seriously. They help increase your chances of successfully summiting Kilimanjaro and save you from the consequences of altitude sickness.
Trekking from Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut:
Change in Elevation: Mandara Hut (2,700 m) — Horombo Hut (3,720 m)
Hiking distance: 10 km
Hiking time: 5–6 hours
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (3,920 m)
Hiking distance: 2.5 km
Hiking time: 1–2 hours
On this day, right after breakfast the group will be trekking to the Kibo Hut (4,700 m). The actual trekking is not very difficult, just remember to stick with an appropriate pace to keep up your strength for the trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit. When you reach the camp you will be served lunch, after which we recommend you sleep as much as you can, avoid any strenuous activity, and drink lots of water.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Kibo Hut (4,700 m)
Hiking distance: 10 km
Hiking time: 4–8 hours
Night departure from Kibo Hut (4,700 m) and the start of your trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit: Uhuru peak (5,895 m). The trekking will be moderate from a physical standpoint, but the altitude presents a much more serious problem. For the entire length of the trekking each pair of climbers will be accompanied by their own guide, who will be monitoring your stamina and mental resolve. After your successful ascent to Uhuru Peak, you can descend to the nearest glacier if desired. Then you will return to Kibo Camp and after a two-hour rest continue your descent to Horombo Hut (3,720 m).
Note: Don't forget that 90% of all accidents occur during the descent, including all broken arms and legs. Please pay attention to your feet, as there is a high risk of damaging your toenails.
Change in Elevation: Kibo Hut (4,700 m) — Uhuru Peak (5,895 m) — Horombo Hut (3,720 m)
Hiking distance: 16 km
Hiking time: 9–12 hours
You will be offered a warm breakfast in the morning, after which we will head for the Kilimanjaro National Park's exit: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After your descent the whole group will gather to congratulate you, and then you will have the chance to share your opinions on the trip in the guestbook. Lastly, we will present you with your commemorative certificates (in our office) and provide you a transfer back to the hotel.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Marangu Gate (1,860 m)
Hiking distance: 18 km
Hiking time: 5–6 hours
Rest in the hotel and transfer to the airport.
Note: Hotel check-out is at 11:00 AM. In case you need a late check-out because of an evening flight, there is the option to extend your hotel stay for an extra fee.
Tour price includes (climbing):
- Meeting at Kilimanjaro International Airport;
- Transfer to the hotel — Aishi Machame Hotel / Altezza Lodge in Moshi*;
- Accommodation prior to the climb (including breakfast; sharing a twin room);
- Transfer to the trail head;
- Professional mountain crew. All guides have "Wilderness First Responder" and "Wilderness First Aid" certificates, along with over 7 years of experience in climbing. Each participant will be provided with a porter (who can carry up to 15 kg of personal baggage);
- Kilimanjaro National Park permits;
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees;
- Camping/hut fees;
- 3 square meals daily. The menu includes different soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables; vegetarian options are available upon request;
- Modern The North Face VE-25 tents**;
- Oxygen systems and pulse oximeters;
- First aid kit;
- Warm and comfortable sleeping pads (2 inches thick);
- Group equipment (dining tent, table, chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Meeting the group at the National Park exit and transfer to the hotel;
- Accommodation after the climb (including breakfast; sharing a twin room);
- International certificates for a successful ascent;
- Return transfer to Kilimanjaro airport.
* Basic tour package price includes sharing a twin room. If you need a single bed accommodation only, you should contact a manager a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the start of the tour.
** During the climb you will share a tent with 1-2 other climbers, depending on the number of participants. If you need an individual tent, please, contact our manager. Single accommodation at sleeping huts on Marangu is impossible.
Tour price excludes (climbing):
- Airline tickets;
- Visa fee;
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the ascent);
- Personal gear rentals;
- Tips for the mountain crew (200–250 USD per person);
- Mountaineering insurance.
Experienced mountain guidesWe hire only professional mountain guides certified as “Wilderness First Responder” and “Wilderness First Aid” with 7+ years of successful climbing experience!
Modern outfit and equipmentWe use only modern outfit and equipment from The North Face and Black Diamond in our Kilimanjaro expeditions. These brands were successfully tested in harsh Himalayan and Arctic environments.
Safe climbsFor extra safety, we equip our groups with oxygen systems, satellite phones, radio stations and medical kits.
Customized meal plansIndividual diet for every climber allows us to ensure the highest quality standards
No agents involvedOur prices are free from commissions and markups. Our team is located in the heart of Tanzania and we personally control everything here.
More than 200 successfully expeditions annually!In 2015, 577 climbers from EU and USA climbed the highest point of Africa with us!
OTHER GROUPS TO JOIN
Join the group
Safari: Tarangire and Ngorongoro (2 days)October 21 - October 24, 2017$862 Discount 3%
Join the group
Safari: Tarangire, Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro (3 days)October 27 - October 31, 2017$1183
Join the group
Kilimanjaro climb: Lemosho route (6 days)October 28 - November 04, 2017$1896
Join the group
Kilimanjaro climb: Marangu route (6 days) | Safari: Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti (5 days)November 02 - November 14, 2017$3742 Discount 7%