- Climbing: Marangu route 6-day climb
Arrival date: 10.07.2017
Departure date: 17.07.2017
Climbing start: 11.07.2017
Climbing finish: 16.07.2017
Marangu – or “Coca-Cola” – route is rightfully popular amongst Kilimanjaro climbers. It is unique in that it provides extra comfort with its permanent huts. Fabulous vistas of Kilimanjaro’s Mawenzi and Kibo peaks are an added advantage of Coca-Cola Route! Marangu Route offers 6 and 5-day itineraries, the latter being the way to go for experienced trekkers. The 6 days Marangu Route itinerary with its longer acclimatization is preferable if this is to be your first climb. Those who climb Kilimanjaro on Marangu can look forward to a trek that covers the distance of 64 km (40 miles) with comfortable conditions resulting in a 92% success rate for the longer programme.
Transfer by an Altezza Travel vehicle from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your chosen hotel. All of the hotels we use offer comfort with rooms with hot showers, swimming pools, pleasant staff and Wi-Fi access. Your tour Manager will brief you on your forthcoming climb in the evening, answer your questions and make sure you are properly equipped for the climb, providing rental gear when necessary.
Note: start of check-in is usually at 14:00hrs.
A morning pre-climb briefing and introductions with our team precede the drive to Kilimanjaro Park's Eastern Gate: Marangu, which lies at 1,860 m. Here, your head guide arranges all necessary permits and registration for rescue and search services before you start the walk to Mandara Hut’s 2,700 m. The trail takes you through rain forest with its high probability of rain showers, so bring a raincoat.
This being your first day at high altitude we strongly recommend the following:
- Do not consume any caffeine or alcohol
- Drink often, a little at a time for a total daily intake of 4 litres minimum.
- Take Diamox for relief from altitude sickness symptoms. It is usually taken in the morning before the day's climbing. Consult your physician before undertaking the trip to check for possible contraindications.
- Heed your body's warnings and promptly inform your guide of any adverse symptoms.
Acclimatisation-associated discomfort is common at night, when your body gets less oxygen than during the day. This is normally expressed in the form of nausea and headaches.
Change in Elevation: Marangu Gate (1,860 m) — Mandara Hut (2,700 m)
Hiking distance: 11 km
Hiking time: 5–7 hours
Early in the morning after breakfast, the group will depart Mandara Hut to start a moderate trek towards the second high altitude camp: Horombo Hut (3,720 m). When you reach the camp on this day, you will be treated to views of two volcanos at once: Kibo and Mawenzi.
Several hours after lunch you will have to complete an acclimatization hike in the direction of Kibo Hut with a 200-meter gain in altitude, and then hike back down to Horombo Hut where dinner will be prepared for you.
Note: The acclimatization hike is an easy trek with a slight gain in altitude done in order to speed up the acclimatization process. You should take the acclimatization hikes very seriously. They help increase your chances of successfully summiting Kilimanjaro and save you from the consequences of altitude sickness.
Trekking from Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut:
Change in Elevation: Mandara Hut (2,700 m) — Horombo Hut (3,720 m)
Hiking distance: 10 km
Hiking time: 5–6 hours
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (3,920 m)
Hiking distance: 2.5 km
Hiking time: 1–2 hours
After breakfast you will go on an acclimatization hike towards Kibo Hut and back. After lunch you have the opportunity to walk around the surrounding area, take pictures of Mawenzi Volcano or just sleep before the upcoming trekking to Kibo Hut.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (4,500 m)
Hiking distance: 5–8 km
Hiking time: 3–4 hours
On this day, right after breakfast the group will be trekking to the Kibo Hut (4,700 m). The actual trekking is not very difficult, just remember to stick with an appropriate pace to keep up your strength for the climbing to Kilimanjaro's summit. When you reach the camp you will be served lunch, after which we recommend you sleep as much as you can, avoid any strenuous activity, and drink lots of water.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Kibo Hut (4,700 m)
Hiking distance: 10 km
Hiking time: 4–8 hours
Night departure from Kibo Hut (4,700 m) and the start of your trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit: Uhuru peak (5,895 m). This stretch of Marangu Route is of a moderate physical difficulty, but high altitude puts any climbers body to the test. For the entire length of the trekking each pair of climbers will be accompanied by their own guide, who will be monitoring your stamina and mental resolve. After your successful ascent to Uhuru Peak, you can descend to the nearest glacier if desired. Then you will return to Kibo Camp and after a two-hour rest continue your descent to Horombo Hut (3,720 m).
Please note: 90% of mountain accidents - including broken limbs - happen on the way down. However, they are easily avoided by taking care of how and where you step.
Change in Elevation: Kibo Hut (4,700 m) — Uhuru Peak (5,895 m) — Horombo Hut (3,720 m)
Hiking distance: 16 km
Hiking time: 9–12 hours
You will be offered a warm breakfast in the morning, after which we will head for the Kilimanjaro National Park's exit: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After your descent the whole group will gather to congratulate you, and then you will have the chance to share your opinions on the trip in the guestbook. Lastly, we will present you with your commemorative certificates (in our office) and provide you a transfer back to the hotel.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Marangu Gate (1,860 m)
Hiking distance: 18 km
Hiking time: 5–6 hours
Enjoy the tranquility of your hotel before the airport transfer.
Note: while most hotels have an 11:00 AM check-out policy, they also offer late check-out for those with evening or night flights. The fees are moderate.
Tour price includes (climbing):
- Meeting at Kilimanjaro International Airport;
- Transfer to the hotel — Aishi Machame Hotel / Altezza Lodge in Moshi*;
- Accommodation prior to the climb (including breakfast; sharing a twin room);
- Transfer to the trail head;
- Professional mountain crew. All guides have "Wilderness First Responder" and "Wilderness First Aid" certificates, along with over 7 years of experience in climbing. Each participant will be provided with a porter (who can carry up to 15 kg of personal baggage);
- Kilimanjaro National Park permits;
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees;
- Camping/hut fees;
- 3 square meals daily. The menu includes different soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables; vegetarian options are available upon request;
- Modern The North Face VE-25 tents**;
- Oxygen systems and pulse oximeters;
- First aid kit;
- Warm and comfortable sleeping pads (2 inches thick);
- Group equipment (dining tent, table, chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Meeting the group at the National Park exit and transfer to the hotel;
- Accommodation after the climb (including breakfast; sharing a twin room);
- International certificates for a successful ascent;
- Return transfer to Kilimanjaro airport.
* Basic tour package price includes sharing a twin room. If you need a single bed accommodation only, you should contact a manager a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the start of the tour.
** During the climb you will share a tent with 1-2 other climbers, depending on the number of participants. If you need an individual tent, please, contact our manager. Single accommodation at sleeping huts on Marangu is impossible.
Tour price excludes (climbing):
- Airline tickets;
- Visa fee;
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the ascent);
- Personal gear rentals;
- Tips for the mountain crew (200–250 USD per person);
- Mountaineering insurance.
Experienced mountain guidesWe hire only professional mountain guides certified as “Wilderness First Responder” and “Wilderness First Aid” with 7+ years of successful climbing experience!
Modern outfit and equipmentWe use only modern outfit and equipment from The North Face and Black Diamond in our Kilimanjaro expeditions. These brands were successfully tested in harsh Himalayan and Arctic environments.
Safe climbsFor extra safety, we equip our groups with oxygen systems, satellite phones, radio stations and medical kits.
Customized meal plansIndividual diet for every climber allows us to ensure the highest quality standards
No agents involvedOur prices are free from commissions and markups. Our team is located in the heart of Tanzania and we personally control everything here.
More than 200 successfully expeditions annually!In 2015, 577 climbers from EU and USA climbed the highest point of Africa with us!
OTHER GROUPS TO JOIN
Join the group
Safari: Tarangire and Ngorongoro (2 days)October 21 - October 24, 2017$862 Discount 3%
Join the group
Safari: Tarangire, Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro (3 days)October 27 - October 31, 2017$1183
Join the group
Kilimanjaro climb: Lemosho route (6 days)October 28 - November 04, 2017$1896
Join the group
Kilimanjaro climb: Marangu route (6 days) | Safari: Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti (5 days)November 02 - November 14, 2017$3742 Discount 7%