TIPS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR TRAVELERS
Preparing for trip to Tanzania
- Prepare copies and electronical versions of all necessary documents (passport, driving licenses and vaccination certificate against yellow fever)
- Do all necessary vaccinations for travel to Tanzania
- Make sure that the credit card of your bank can be used abroad. Inform your bank about your travel beforehand and note phone numbers for contact in case if your card has been lost / blocked.
- During your flight, take the living essentials in your hand luggage, avoiding items prohibited for carriage in the cabin - nail polish, perfume, cosmetic sprays.
- In 5% cases the luggage arrives in Tanzania with delay of 1-2 days. In this case, it will be delivered to you right to the hotel or porters of Altezza Travel company will bring it to the mountains if your climbing tour has already started.
- Tanzania is a prosperous country but you should not abuse it. It is not recommended to go in the streets with big amounts of money, documents, laptops, it is better to use a taxi. If you just want to walk in the city, it is enough to have a necessary amount of money, leaving other things at the hotel or at the office of our company. In recent years, in Dar es Salaam the robberies of tourists in a taxi often happen. It occurs through several schemes
- People get into the taxi where the driver is sitting with his friend, after this, they bring them to remote quarters and under the threat of imminent violence, they take all valuable things. It is quite easy to avoid such situation. You can just order an official taxi from Altezza Travel or the hotel when you are staying.
- Some people armed with knives brake into the taxi that sit in a traffic jam and take valuable things. In this case, absolutely all taxi drivers are into the high risk zone but the situation can be solved, if you close windows and block doors. In all the others Tanzanian cities the similar cases are not fixed. For example, in Kigoma city people leave their cars open because nobody steals.
- Try to avoid conflict situations with the locals, in most of cases the police will be on your side but do not spend your time and nerves. If this situation happened, call us and we will try to help you.
- Avoid conversations with intrusive local people because their only aim is to earn money, whether it be an attempt to sell a safari 3 times more expensive or a bracelet for 5 dollars.
- Do not exchange money in the street. In Tanzania there are a lot of small exchanging offices in every street when it is better to go to and from by taxi.
While climbing Kilimanjaro / Meru
- Do not take valuable things to the mountains, such as laptops, phones. Chance to broke them is quite high and without charging they become useless. All guides have radios / mobile phones for communication.
- Try to drink 3-4 liters of water a day, it speeds up the process of high-altitude adaptation and reduce such unpleasant consequences as vomiting, headache.
- All crossings in the mountains take place in the morning and the afternoon is free, so you can think about any activities, it can be a book, a board game, cards or MP3-player.
- Do not forget to leave tips for the team after climbing. It is better to do it at the office of our company upon return, provided there was a high level of service. We can help you to share them among all the team that accompanied you in the mountains according to their posts. The recommended amount for an expedition is $200-250 per person.
While on safari
- If your path runs through Ngorongoro, take the warm clothes. The crater is situated at an altitude of 3000 meters, due to this when night time temperatures drop below zero.
- Take more of wet wipes; in high season it is very dusty because of big quantity of cars, especially in tourist places.
- If you have any respiratory diseases, take a dust mask for safari, just in case.
- Take the clothes to change, preferably a new set of clothes for each day.
- Avoid bright colors on safari (white / yellow t-shirts, blue jeans), they will become dirty very quickly. The ideal variant is the clothes of khaki, dark-green, grey colors.
- It is recommended to take on safari cameras with specialist lenses that let you do great images with the powerful zoom. The animals are not always in couple meters of the car.
- Do not forget to leave tips for safari-guides, the recommended amount is $40-60 per day per vehicle. Tips are also welcomed in the hotels, $1-2 is enough when carrying the baggage and small tips in the restaurant for waiters. Even in the most expensive hotels the staff salaries are low and they will thank you very much.
- Do not forget that main part of the population in Zanzibar are Muslims. Primarily, it concerns girls, avoid the vulgar clothes, be more modest.
- Do not use the services of “helpers” and “beach boys” or you will pay in 2-3 times more for the same service that you can buy 100 meters away, in the principal company office.
- Do not be very shy when locals are trying to fool you, refuse them strongly, do not be looking friendly. It is our European modesty and native politeness let them speak with tourists so impudently.
Join the group. Price - Discount %
+ 2 days in hotel